To help you understand how your everyday activities add to the changing climate we have created a table showing what makes a tonne of carbon emissions.
Each of these activities results in 1 tonne of carbon emissions on average.
- Travelling in a plane for 5000 kms / 3100 miles (about 3.5 return trips Sydney/Melbourne; 3 return trips New York/Chicago; 11 trips London/Paris)*
- Driving a car with petrol/[US gas] about 4100 kms / 2500 miles
- Using a clothes dryer for 15 hours
- Turning on 10 light globes (100 Watts) for 68 days
- Using a window air conditioner for 75 days
- Staying 34 nights in a hotel
* for more detail on the carbon emissions from flying visit Travel Math
If you have any examples of an activity that results in approximately 1 tonne of carbon emissions please add it in a comment!